Thursday, September 17, 2009

I guess it makes me a die hard

Its been a rainy week this week. I love the rain. But come Monday morning, I wasn't going to run in it. So I texted Jenifer that I'd be running at the gym that day. Later that day, I was perusing runnersworld.com and found a blog post about how the author used to bow out of running in the rain, only to find that her running partners still ran in the rain without her. She then started running, rain or shine, and continued on about how invigorating and internally cleansing it was. I chuckled to myself and forwarded the link to Jen. So now its Thursday, scheduled run with Jen at 5:15. Open the garage door - rain. She said - "guess we're going to get our first cleansing". I agreed. So off we went (her husband joined us too). It started out quite rough - the rain picked up, I couldn't get my ipod to work - just not a good start. But as I settled into my rhythm, and just heard the gentle rain instead of the fast beat of my favorite songs, I really began to enjoy myself. About a half mile in, I pushed play on my ipod, just to see what would happen and it worked. While I liked the sound of the rain for the first half mile or so, I needed a distraction. Once I got used to being wet, and running though puddles, it really was the most enjoyable run to date. I'm thinking this just might make me a die hard runner now.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog! Today's run was a fun one wasn't it? As your next door neighbor, I must inform you that I hate being wet unless I am swimming or taking a shower. The funny thing is that I feel like I could have run that route one more time this morning. This was definitely a change from Utah. I think running in Utah has made me a lot stronger for running in Oklahoma and now I too, have the running bug!

    ReplyDelete